May 29 2015

How much are the Penalties for Overstaying as a Tourist in the Philippines?

How much is the Overstaying Fee for Tourists in the Philippines?

Most Tourists to the Philippines are allowed to stay for 30 days before needing to apply for a Visa. The first Visa is the initial extension of twenty-nine (29) days. This is commonly followed by a two month extension, although some Bureau of Immigration offices allow a 6 month extension.

If a person stay in the Philippines without a Valid Visa, then penalties are applied, and added to the unpaid Visa fees.

These combined penalties and fees can add up over time and can be something like the following figures:

I have calculated the following approximate costs for overstay payments including Visa Fees, ACR cards and Penalties.

Pesos:
4,310 From One day to One Month Overstay (Updated Sept 2017)
13,000 Total for Up to Three Month Overstay
18,000 Total for Up to Six Months Overstay
30,000 Total for Up to Twelve Months Overstay
60,000 Total for Up to Two Years Overstay
150,000 Total for Up to Five Years Overstay
300,000 Total for Up to Ten Years Overstay
440,000 Total for Up to Fifteen Years Overstay

These figures are approximate calculations based on 2016 fees. They may reduce the cost if they base it on the actual fees dues for older years, which may be less than the 2016 fees.

Charges can also be higher in some cases, such as one example in the comments below:

Pesos:

79,500 For a 19 months overstay.

Financial Penalties for Visa Overstay in the Philippines:

The minimum penalties appear to be:

• All Visa Extension Fees not previously paid.
  • Fine for Overstaying – (additional) Php 500.00 per month
  • Motion for Reconsideration for Overstaying – (additional) Php 500.00

I have read that the Overstay fee for just a few days would be about 4,000 pesos.

This would be the 3,030 peso first Visa Extension fee + Overstay Fees.  (2015 fees)

If the Overstay is for over one month, but less than two months, then I would guess that the fee would be closer to 12,000 peso, made up as follows:

3,030 pesos – First Visa Extension fee
7,340 pesos – Next Visa Extension fee plus the ACR-i card fee
1,000 pesos – Fine for Overstaying (2 months)
500 pesos – Motion for Reconsideration for Overstaying

If the Overstay is for just over one year, then I would guess that the fee would be closer to 35,000 peso, PLUS possible DEPORTATION.  The fee would be made up as follows (assume figures for 13 months):

3,030 pesos – First Visa Extension fee
22,490 pesos – Six x 2 month Visa Extension fees plus the ACR-i card fee
6,000 pesos – Fine for Overstaying (12 months)
500 pesos – Motion for Reconsideration for Overstaying
plus maybe one ACR-i card renewal fee

That is my guess, based on the actual costs for Normal Visas last year.  If anyone has paid an Overstay Fee, please give details in the comments box below, showing the date and the fee paid and the total days overstayed.  Thank you.

The Official Statement for Visa Extensions is:

Foreigners admitted under Section 9 (a) of the Philippine Immigration Act (PIA) of 1940, as amended, or Executive Order No. 408, as amended, may extend their authorized stay every two (2) months for a total stay of not more than:
– a) Twenty-four (24) months for visa-required nationals; and
– b) Thirty-six (36) months for non-visa required nationals.

The said periods shall be counted from the date of applicant’s latest recorded arrival.

Overstaying Foreigners in the Philippines

Foreigners who have overstayed for twelve (12) months or less but have been in the country beyond the maximum allowable period already may be permitted to update their stay with order to leave the country within fifteen (15) calendar days therefrom and their names may be included in the Bureau’s blacklist upon the discretion of the Commissioner; Provided that, the Commissioner, in the exercise of sound judgment, may allow such foreigners to update and extend their stay taking into consideration their Filipino lineage, medical condition, minority and other analogous circumstances.

Foreigners who have overstayed for more than twelve (12) months regardless if their stay is within the maximum allowable period or those found to be overstaying by virtue to a complaint or Mission Order regardless of the period shall be referred for deportation.

Sourced from: www.immigration.gov.ph/…/234-honorable-secretary

More stories on the Exit Clearance Certificate at:

(Post Rating: 3,001 - 161 - 170,319)

Permanent link to this article: http://www.in-philippines.com/how-much-are-the-penalties-for-overstaying-as-a-tourist-in-the-philippines/

696 comments

Skip to comment form

• Jamie morgan on December 17, 2017 at 1:34 am

Can I pay my overstay at airport on exit

• admin on December 17, 2017 at 2:40 pm
        Author

Very unlikely. There was talk to change this, so that some people could, but I am not sure if it has changed.

The normal situation is that people arrive at the airport, and are then told to go to Manila immigration office to sort out the visa issues, bring all visas up to date, paying for ACR-I card if needed etc., and applying for the ECC if that applies (after 6 months).

That of course means missing the flight, staying at a hotel until a new one gets booked etc. If an ECC is involved, that can take a day or two to get.

Not a situation I would ever want to risk.

• Tessie Amante on December 16, 2017 at 1:35 am

hi admin,
    I hope u guys can help me about my son situation there in Philippine so he can go back to japan and help me cuz I have 6 kids.🙏

• Tessie Amante on December 16, 2017 at 1:30 am

Hello admin,
    my son is a Japanese citizen and I’m Filipino citizen at that time he was born.when he turn 4 or 5 yr old I brought him to the Philippine because his father&i where getting divorce.so now he is 15 yrs over stayed in the Philippines. I’m planing to apply for his dual citizenship so that the penalty would be waived as one of the immigration representative told me and also because I cannot afford to pay the penalty. My question is …is it possible that I can apply for dual citizenship for my son? and the penalty would be waived?

• Steven on December 11, 2017 at 4:52 am

Can I use credit card for visa payment?

• A on December 11, 2017 at 10:21 am

No, they only accept local DEBIT cards, otherwise straight cold cash.

• Ania seyer on December 9, 2017 at 5:10 am

Hi! I have my bf here in philippines he didnt extend 2 months from now. Moroccan citizen. I want to know please how much it cost wth penalty?

• John on December 5, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Hello,I have question..i have gf chinese Malay,she is pregnant now and still not yet divorce in her ex bf,have possible she can go to philipines to give birth the child and go back to malaysia after a month og her recovery..please i need your help,.The airlines can give her ride if she have 7months pregnant???..thank you i hope you can help me…

• John on December 5, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Hello,I have question..i have gf chinese Malay,she is pregnant now and still not yet divorce in her ex bf,have possible she can go to philipines to give birth the child and go back to malaysia after a month og her recovery..please i need your help,.The airlines can give her ride if she have 7months pregnant???..thank you i hope you can help me.

• admin on December 5, 2017 at 5:23 pm
        Author

Some airlines have stricter rules on that, than others. You need to ask the airlines, or a travel agent.

28 weeks is possible with some.

• John on December 5, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Hello 28weeks is how many month??3months?

• John on December 5, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Ow sorry its 7months..

• Juday on December 5, 2017 at 9:02 am

Hi admin,my aunt is a us citizen with expired Phil passport,she has overstayed for more than 12 months.how much is she going to pay for penalty and where she”ll pay?pls let me know the process for she wanted to go back to US soon…ty for your immediate response…

• Gerbs on December 9, 2017 at 9:20 am

Hey Juday-

I actually just got back from the Bureau of Immigration. I am an Fil-Am and have over stayed for about 7 months. Your aunt is NOT be allowed the leave the country. Since her US passport is expired AND has to pay the penalties. I hope your aunt is ready to come back at least 3x times to the BI because that’s what they did to me. 1- Renew her US passport because BI would basically see her as an undocumented alien here in the PH (if she is in a hurry to leave, she can choose to ” express ship ” her US passport . 2- once she received her US passport, show up at the BI, they will ask for both her old and new passport, they will calculate her penalty fees for her over stay. I paid 15k PHP for my penalties. Good Luck to your aunt.

• John on December 13, 2017 at 10:53 am

Hello my gf is pregnant but i want to give her birth our baby in philipines,you think the immigration can give her 6months visa?how if they dont give a visa..i just wait my baby born in philipines and after that my gf go back to malaysia.

• Mai on December 14, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Hi! Just want to know something. My boyfriend arrived last nov 1here in phils. At this present time he still dont have time to extend his visa. So his late for two weeks . how much is it cost including penalties?

• admin on December 14, 2017 at 2:42 pm
            Author

2 weeks late is not too bad, it is only going to be the normal visa renewal cost plus an extra 1,000 or 2,000 for the penalty.

The visa cost depends on how long he renews for: 1 month, 2 months or 6 months.

• Steven on December 5, 2017 at 3:38 am

If someone overstayed in the Philippines for a year, is it possible to make installments to pay for the overstay costs? Thank you.

• admin on December 5, 2017 at 7:33 am
        Author

I have not heard of that happening. My experience with immigration is that they very rarely bend the rules.

• jenny on November 28, 2017 at 7:28 am

hi admin my son has dual citezenship filipino / candaian and overstayed in philippines for 5 years already. how much would be the penalty?and can he still come back to philippines once we paid all the fees. pls advise.

1. Hi admin my boyfriend over staying here in Philippines for almost 4yrs. How much the penalty it cost!? And if he cannot pay the penalty it is possible that he can still going back home thank you need your in ce asap thanks

• admin on November 27, 2017 at 5:32 pm
        Author

From the figures above it looks like around 120,000 pisos.

Not paying is not an option for most people, but I have heard that a persons embassy can sometimes help, although re entry may not be possible if it isn’t all paid.

• Gerbs on November 26, 2017 at 12:49 am

hello admin,

i am a filipino born, US citizen. My US passport was stamped with a Balikbayan visa. I am now 7 months over staying. I am scared, what should I do? what should I expect? where can I pay the fines? i am planning on doing my dual citizenship paperwork but am afraid of getting deported. thank you

• admin on November 27, 2017 at 5:38 pm
        Author

You should not get deported, but get it resolved as soon as you can. Do not let it reach 12 months.
      Ask at immigration, explaining the dual citizenship aspect, and see what your best course of action is.

• Gerbs on November 26, 2017 at 12:05 am

Greetings admin,

I am a US citizen, Filipino born, passport was stamped with a Balikbayan visa, but o haven’t had the chance to extend my stay here, now I am going on 7 months on over staying. I am planning on getting my dual citizenship next month but afraid I might get deported. What can happen? Fees? What can I expect ? Thank you

• Jill on November 25, 2017 at 8:35 pm

hello admin,
    i have a US citizen husband and he’s back in the US now after staying here in PI for 2 months, now he wants to come back here to stay for 6 months together with his 16-year old son.

1.what would be the process and how much will it cost him?

need your reply for this. ty

• admin on November 25, 2017 at 9:05 pm
        Author

They arrive and get a visa on arrival for 1 month. Then, in that first month, they apply for a visa extension for each of them. This avoids any overstay fees and fines. Make sure to renew all visas.

Some example costs at:

After a 6 month stay, they will need an ECC to exit.

• Bunty on November 24, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Hello admin,
    My Brother is staying in Philippine on tourist visa his tourist visa was expired already in january 2017 and till now not doing any renewal so it’s already 11 months.can u tell me approx how much penalty n Total cost of visa for renewal?
    ASAP plz Reply me
    Thank you..

• admin on November 25, 2017 at 9:00 pm
        Author

It is normally about 30,000 pesos for a 1 year overstay.

• Marie on November 22, 2017 at 11:02 pm

hi admin.my s0n is a canadian citizen at birth b0th parents are filipin0 citizen at that time he was b0rn.when he turn 1 year 0ld i br0ught him t0 the philippines because his father passed away s0 n0w he is 4 years 0ver stayed in the philippines.im planning t0 apply f0r his dual citizenship s0 that the penalty w0uld be waived as 0ne 0f the immigrati0n representative t0ld me and als0 because i cann0t aff0rd t0 pay the penalty.my questi0n is…is it p0ssible that i can apply f0r dual citizenship f0r my s0n? and the penalty w0uld be waived? thank u s0 much!

Leave a Reply to this Posting, but no links please.