Mental Health in the Philippines
Psychiatric facilities, (Mental hospitals, Psychiatric wards, psych wards, etc.) specialise in the treatment of serious psychiatric diseases, such as clinical depression, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder.
Psychiatric facilities in the Philippines include:
- Cagayan Valley Medical Center, Tuguegarao City
- Davao Mental Hospital, Davao City
- Divine Mercy Psychiatric Hospital, Mandaluyong City
- Makati Medical Center, Makati
- National Center for Mental Health, Mandaluyong
- University of Sto. Tomas Hospital, Espana, Manila
Costs of Psychiatric Facilities in the Philippines
Cost of consultations are relatively low, but cost of medicines may be unexpectedly high, as there is no subsidisation for this.
Example prices: (Jan 2014)
- Zoloft 50mg are 140.25 php each
- Rivotril 2mg are 11.75 php each
- Qtipine 25mg are 30 php each (also prescribed as Seroquel)
Zoloft is a commonly prescribed anti-depressant. It is one of the trade names of the Sertraline antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class. Lustral is another trade name.
Rivotril contains the active ingredient Clonazepam which is a benzodiazepine that belongs to the group of medications called central nervous system (CNS) depressants. Trade names include: Linotril, Clonotril, Klonopin and more. It is often prescribed for social phobia and panic disorders.
Qtipine/Quetiapine fumarate is a Neuropsychiatric Drug, often prescribed for severe Insomnia, amongst other more serious conditions.