The reason for the Emigration Clearance Certificate.
When the ECC was enforced in 2013 the reason for this certificate was given as follows:
Immigration Commissioner Siegfred Mison said that the ECC is being issued to departing foreigner nationals to prove that they have no derogatory records in the country or any accountability with other government agencies.
There are two types of ECC that can be secured at any BI satellite office in the country and airports: The ECC-A is being issued to foreigners who have tourist visas extending for more than six months. The ECC-B, on the other hand, is given to holders of immigrant and non-immigrant visas with valid alien certificate registration I-Cards.
The new directive came amid warnings about foreign nationals who are involved in illicit drug trafficking and cybercrimes.
“Before, foreigners saw the Philippines as a haven of fugitives. Now, with honest enforcement of immigration laws, we are able to frustrate those who want to just stay here because they have cases abroad,” the immigration commissioner said in a statement.
And so… the six month old child, born in the Philippines, to a Foreign parent, travelling on a foreign passport NEEDS to get this certificate to prove it has no derogatory record in the Philippines (see no 4 below)
Or what ? I can’t think of another reason. it cant be for the collection of 500 pesos can it ?
Who needs an ECC
The following foreign nationals must secure an ECC-A prior to their departure:
- Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa (also referred to as tourist visa) who have stayed in the Philippines for six (6) months or more;
- Holders of expired or downgraded Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas;
- Holders of valid Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas but are leaving for good;
- Philippine-born foreign nationals who will depart from the Philippines for the first time;
- Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa with Orders to Leave;
- Bona fide seafarers who have stayed in the Philippines for 30 days or more and has a duly approved discharge from BI.
ECC-B is issued to departing holders of Immigrant and Non-Immigrant visas with valid ACR I-Cards and are leaving the country temporarily.