How much are the Penalties for Overstaying as a Tourist in the Philippines?

How much is the Overstaying Fee for Tourists in the Philippines?

Most Tourists to the Philippines are allowed to stay for 30 days before needing to apply for a Visa. The first Tourist Visa extension is the initial extension of twenty-nine (29) days, taking the visit up to 59 days.

These Adverts help to pay for this site.

This is commonly followed by a two month extension, although some Bureau of Immigration offices allow a 6 month extension.

If a person stay in the Philippines without a Valid Visitor Visa, then penalties are applied, and added to the unpaid Visa fees.

These combined penalties and fees can add up over time and can be something like the following figures:

I have calculated the following approximate costs for overstay payments including Visa Fees, ACR cards and Penalties.

4,310 From One day to One Month Overstay (Updated Sept 2017)
6,000 Total for between One and Two Months Overstay (Updated July 2018)
13,000 Total for Up to Three Month Overstay
15,000 Total for Up to Four Month Overstay
17,000 Total for Up to Five Month Overstay
18,000 Total for Up to Six Months Overstay
20,000 Total for Up to Seven Month Overstay
22,000 Total for Up to Eight Month Overstay
24,000 Total for Up to Nine Month Overstay
26,000 Total for Up to Ten Month Overstay
28,000 Total for Up to Eleven Month Overstay
30,000 Total for Up to Twelve Months Overstay
60,000 Total for Up to Two Years Overstay
90,000 Total for Up to Three Years Overstay
120,000 Total for Up to Four Years Overstay
150,000 Total for Up to Five Years Overstay
180,000 Total for Up to Six Years Overstay
210,000 Total for Up to Seven Years Overstay
240,000 Total for Up to Eight Years Overstay
270,000 Total for Up to Nine Years Overstay
300,000 Total for Up to Ten Years Overstay
450,000 Total for Up to Fifteen Years Overstay

Note: These are approximate costs Immigration will determine the exact cost when you visit their office.

A reasonable ‘estimate’ can be made by calculating 3,000 pesos for every month of Overstay. Or about 30,000 for each year.

These figures are approximate calculations based on 2016 fees. They may reduce the cost if they base it on the actual fees dues for older years, which may be less than the 2016 fees.

Charges can also be higher in some cases, such as one example in the comments below:


79,500 For a 19 months overstay.

Financial Penalties for Visa Overstay in the Philippines:

The minimum penalties appear to be:

  • All Visa Extension Fees not previously paid.
  • Fine for Overstaying – (additional) Php 500.00 per month
  • Motion for Reconsideration for Overstaying – (additional) Php 500.00

I have read that the Overstay fee for just a few days would be about 4,000 pesos.

This would be the 3,030 peso first Visa Extension fee + Overstay Fees.  (2015 fees)

If the Overstay is for over one month, but less than two months, then I would guess that the fee would be closer to 12,000 peso, made up as follows:

3,030 pesos – First Visa Extension fee
7,340 pesos – Next Visa Extension fee plus the ACR-i card fee
1,000 pesos – Fine for Overstaying (2 months)
500 pesos – Motion for Reconsideration for Overstaying

If the Overstay is for just over one year, then I would guess that the fee would be closer to 35,000 peso, PLUS possible DEPORTATION.  The fee would be made up as follows (assume figures for 13 months):

3,030 pesos – First Visa Extension fee
22,490 pesos – Six x 2 month Visa Extension fees plus the ACR-i card fee
6,000 pesos – Fine for Overstaying (12 months)
500 pesos – Motion for Reconsideration for Overstaying
plus maybe one ACR-i card renewal fee

That is my guess, based on the actual costs for Normal Visas last year.  If anyone has paid an Overstay Fee, please give details in the comments box below, showing the date and the fee paid and the total days overstayed.  Thank you.

The Official Statement for Visa Extensions is:

Foreigners admitted under Section 9 (a) of the Philippine Immigration Act (PIA) of 1940, as amended, or Executive Order No. 408, as amended, may extend their authorized stay every two (2) months for a total stay of not more than:
– a) Twenty-four (24) months for visa-required nationals; and
– b) Thirty-six (36) months for non-visa required nationals.

The said periods shall be counted from the date of applicant’s latest recorded arrival.

Overstaying Foreigners in the Philippines

Foreigners who have overstayed for twelve (12) months or less but have been in the country beyond the maximum allowable period already may be permitted to update their stay with order to leave the country within fifteen (15) calendar days therefrom and their names may be included in the Bureau’s blacklist upon the discretion of the Commissioner; Provided that, the Commissioner, in the exercise of sound judgment, may allow such foreigners to update and extend their stay taking into consideration their Filipino lineage, medical condition, minority and other analogous circumstances.

Foreigners who have overstayed for more than twelve (12) months regardless if their stay is within the maximum allowable period or those found to be overstaying by virtue to a complaint or Mission Order regardless of the period shall be referred for deportation.

Sourced from:…/234-honorable-secretary

More stories on the Exit Clearance Certificate at:

96 : 35,551 : 2,234,507

AgodaAgoda These Adverts help to pay for this site.
© 2020 ABCDiamond
Hosted at DreamHost

1,512 thoughts on “How much are the Penalties for Overstaying as a Tourist in the Philippines?”

  1. If you feel like sending $5 to buy me a cup of coffee, please click the donate button.

  2. Good day, I arrived here june 2019. I was to return to china in december but the pandemic begun. Now I want to return to my home country and would like to know how much it would cost till this month . visa/fine/ecc , and what action will be taken against me

  3. Hello ma’am/sir
    I want to ask.
    I used a 30-day tourist visa to enter the Philippines last year . But I was detained at BJMP for 18 months until now because of a criminal case. I recently started bail procedures for out of jail .
    My visa has already expired and I am worried about bail out of BJMP. Later, maybe will detained by the Immigration Bureau again. In a situation like mine, I don’t know how to do with it better. Should I apply for an extension of the visa for two years now, or is there another way? thank you

    1. Your situation sounds complicated. I would suggest getting advice from a professional immigration agent, or at the very least advice from your embassy.

      I would assume getting a visa extension would be a priority, if available to you, otherwise deportation would appear likely.

      1. Hi, my problem is this. My 36 months is up in March and I can not do a visa run due to covid, I support my girl and her kids here and if I must go to the US, I don’t make enough to support them and myself.
        Covid really screwed us and I don’t want to see the kids put back in poverty. I am an older man and have no interest in returning to the US in the future.
        I want to do the right thing and follow the law but its the old rock and a hard place, I fear BI looking for me in the future,if that is a concern,thanks.

        1. It would be best to visit a BoI office early and ask if they have any alternatives that might suit you.

          Maybe even a different visa option, for those who wish to stay permanently.

          A tourist visa is not ideal, nor intended, for that.

  4. Hi po. My husband is half japanese half filipino. And im a filipina. Balikbayan visa of my husband expired last may 01, 2020. May i know how much it will cost for 7 months expired visa? and can i extend his visa for another month? We dont know when he come back in japan because of the corona issue. That is why we want to clear his visa.

    1. You would need to ask immigration if it can be further extended.

      Normally you would be looking at the above quoted fees for 7 months.

  5. Agoda
  6. Hello,

    I just want to ask, Im staying here in philippines with a tourist visa and it will expire on dec 8,2020 and I plan to go back to my country on jan 12,2021 I will be overstaying for 1 month and 4 days with an expired passport but my embassy will give me a documents to leave the phil without passport, how much should i pay for fees and fines and is there a possibility that I will be blacklisted? Thank you for you answer

  7. hi my 36 month tourist visa is paid up till its expiration in January 2021.

    but i dont want to leave cause i cant get back with the travel ban in place, i have a partner here but we are not married and have no children, im paying off a condo and cant afford the additional cost of living outside the Philippines for several months.

    if i overstay 6-9 months beyond January 2021 and then leave in July-September, when hopefully the travel ban is lifted, what would my fine be and will i be able to return on a tourist visa for another 36 months?

    or do i risk being blacklisted forever and lose everything i have invested in the Philippines?

    thank you

    1. There is a risk of being blacklisted. With COVID, the risk might be minimal, but it is a chance that may not be worth taking.

      I suggest contacting the local Bureau of Immigration and asking what your options are.

      Are there other visa options that might be available to you?
      I know that the SRRV CLASSIC (retirement visa) is available to those over 35 yrs of age.

      This might apply ?
      Foreigners who have overstayed for twelve (12) months or less but have been in the country beyond the maximum allowable period already may be permitted to update their stay with order to leave the country within fifteen (15) calendar days there from and their names may be included in the Bureau’s blacklist upon the discretion of the Commissioner; Provided that, the Commissioner, in the exercise of sound judgment, may allow such foreigners to update and extend their stay taking into consideration their Filipino lineage, medical condition, minority and other analogous circumstances.

      1. thank you so much for the reply.
        already looked into the srrv but i afford the usd $20,ooo deposit and ongoing annual fees.
        i have allot to consider but dont think i will risk being black listed so might have to take the financial hit and live on credit cards outside of the philippines for several months until the travel ban is lifted.

  8. Hi admin. My daughter was born in the US but has been in Ph since April 27, 2019. The stamp on her passport is BB w/c means Balik bayan visa (valid 1 year) right? She is still in Ph and since her BB visa stamp expired on April 27 2020, she’s been overstaying for almost 5 mons now. If we go to BI main office to pay penalties and fees, it’ll be for the 5 mo nths only right? She will travel back to US on Sept 30, 2020. Thanks. How much will it be? She is only 6 y/o.

      1. Thank you admin. This is a frustrating issue for me. Less than 1 year after my daughter was born, we brought her home to Ph, i planned on filing dual citizenship for her since both of us her parents are filipino. I researched on how to do it and according to the website of DFA, she is a natural born Filipino and the only thing we need to do is file a report of birth abroad w/c we did. After receiving the PSA document of her birth registration, I remember asking the officer if there’s anything else that we need to do, he said that it’s all we need and she is now a dual citizen. Then last year, when my daughter will be traveling to HK, she was stopped at the airport by BI officers saying she is not filipino and has overstayed in PH even when we presented her PSA registration of birth. Apparently, BI has a thing they call, Recognition of Dual Citizenship, w/c cost 12,550 and will take 2-6 mos to process. I understand that BI is different from DFA but it just doesnt make sense that one govt agency specifically states on their website that my daughter, given her circumstances and documents we presented is Filipino. It’s just redundant.

        1. Frustration is a common thing when dealing with some of these issues. I spent about 2 hours ‘discussing’ my issue with the head of Immigration at Manila Airport once, trying the leave the country.. In his defence though, he did say his staff face dismissal if they did not follow rules that he did not even agree to himself. One example he gave was a criminal check on a 9 month old ‘foreign’ baby, born in Philippines, leaving the country. It needed the ECC, ie: Proof that the 9 month old had no pending obligations or derogatory records

          When you mentioned: “last year, when my daughter will be traveling to HK, she was stopped at the airport by BI officers saying she is not filipino and has overstayed in PH even when we presented her PSA registration of birth“, the issue with Immigration is really the passport being used for travel. And that is how they “should” have explained it to you.

          A person who travels on a foreign passport is “a foreign citizen”.
          A person who travels on a Philippine passport is “a Philippine citizen”.

          The DFA should have advised getting a Philippine passport.

          A PSA registration of birth does not prove citizenship. I know a few “natural born Filipinos” who are not Philippine citizens.

          1. I know. Which is why i am frustrated because i know how complicated and unsystematic govt. agencies can be. I vividly remember asking the officer at DFA what else needs to be done and he just said we’re all set.

          2. Immigration told us a live birth and a foreign passport is all we need. Now they want MILLIONS in fees. We are hungry and homeless. Where will we get that? I don’t understand how a citizen can overstay in their own country? Most Filipinos do not have passports and are not charged for living in their country.

            1. A Philippine citizen cannot be an overstayer in the Philippines, and they are allowed to travel without any issue, as long as they travel as a Philippine Citizen, with a Philippine passport.

              It is only people that travel on a Foreign passport that have issues with visas and overstay.

              When Immigration told you that “a live birth and a foreign passport is all we need“, that appears to be incorrect information for many people.

              A live birth and a Philippine passport is OK for leaving the Philippines to many countries, but some of those countries require a visa too.

  9. Hi Admin,
    I really need help as my cousin is stuck in Philippines since 2014 till now. He managed to contact me recently. Can i know the procedure on how to settle his fines and get him back home? Appreciate your help. Btw what i know is that 500 pesos is the fine for a month which means 36,000 pesos for 6 years right?

    1. You are correct that the basic fine is 500 pesos per month (36,000 pesos for 6 years right).

      However, all the unpaid visa fees for that 6 years must also be paid.

      This then totals about 180,000 pesos for a Six Year Overstay.

      Normally the traveller needs to go to the local Bureau of Immigration, with passport and funds to pay the outstanding visa fees and the fine.

      That works OK for short term overstayers. But for those who have overstayed long term, there is the risk of being detained.
      This can happen before full payment is made and the date of deportation, whether voluntary or enforced.

      I would probably suggest getting your embassy involved, as they may be able to assist in the event of any issues in this respect.

      Another suggestion is to get a local friend to go to immigration first, with all the details, and find out the procedure there.

      I say this, as different offices might do things differently.

  10. Hello I am a U.S citizen who has overstayed for 7 months due to the cornavirus since March 20th 2020. I arrived in the Philippines since November 14th 2019-December 2019 free 30 day visa, does anyone know how much I would probably pay? Knowing that the Bureau said they will waive fines if you extended your visa prior several months up to March 14th 2020

    1. A Seven month Overstay is normally about 20,000 Total including Visa Fees, ACR cards and Penalties. The fine component is about 500 pesos per month, so you might be looking at about 16,500 just for the visa fees themselves, with no penalties being added.

  11. Agoda
  12. Good day. I have a US Citizen friend who overstayed here in the Philippines for 12 yrs. His asking if what will be the penalties or how much will it cost? Will he be deported and be black listed? Or the immigration will detain him? Or how about he will apply for dual citizenship? Pls need help thanks

    1. The figures were 300,000 Total for Up to Ten Years Overstay and 450,000 Total for Up to Fifteen Years Overstay. So I would expect about 360,000.

      For that length of overstay, a blacklist and deportation would be expected. It might be worthwhile getting help from a migration lawyer there.

      The reasons for not renewing the visa might have a bearing on the result.

  13. Hello thank you for your post. Really helpful.
    We just went to the BI today. My husband usually enters the country with a balikbayan visa, which is valid of a year. However our last entry in the country. We were confident that he was granted a balikbayan visa. He entered march 2019.
    Just around feb this year, it was a surprise that he was on tourist visa.
    We went to the BI office today. And wanted to extend his visa as I will apply him a 13A visa. However, they told us that we need to wait 20 days for the commissioner’s decision whether to let him say or deport him.
    Is it possible that he gets deported? We are worried. We submitted our marriage contract though, PSA marriage contract.
    Please help. Cant wait 20 days for the decision 🙁

    1. I don’t think you have much choice, other than to wait, or to use the services of a migration agent.

      Hopefully, immigration will understand and allow him to stay and change over to the 13A.

  14. Hello Greetings to you Admin.
    Please i am really having issues trying to understand how to go about my problems here in the Philippines.
    Actually, i arrived here in the Philippines on the 27th August 2019, and i was trying to extend my visa stay, in the process of waiting to receive the money,this pandemic problems came up… and i really i want to go back to my country Nigeria, but i don’t really know what and how to go about it because i am stranded already here, as i have no money for my up-keep, food or to pay for my bills anymore. this is getting worse everyday! and i am worried about staying here without an updated documents. I am really not happy about this. i have been seeking for ways not until i discovered this kind of site does exist. since August 27, 2019 i have been here and my visa expired around October ending 2019, Please what does my penalties looks like? and is it possible i get ETC (Emergency Travel Certificate) and what are my suppose to do please? i don’t even have any piso on me to travel to Manila even if everywhere is finally open for businesses. Please i need an advise and what it can cost me to travel back… thank you. I look forward to get your response soon. GOD BLESS YOU. Thank you!

  15. Hello! My boyfriend came just before the quarantine started in manila and because of this, we weren’t able to visit the immigration for his extension. So that would be almost 4 months. Will he still be allowed an extension after we’ve paid for all the fees and penalties?

    1. I would assume that Immigration will allow normal extensions, without much trouble, assuming it is done in time.

      I did read this:

      All aliens whose visas will expire during the ECQ shall be allowed to file their applications for extensions, provided that they file their applications for the extension within thirty (30) days from the lifting of the ECQ.

  16. Agoda
  17. Good evening, I married a foreign nation on a tourist visa. We got married last year and haven’t been able to visit the BI because she was pregnant and now the COVID19. She already overstayed here for 1year. And we are planning to go back to there country. Just want to ask what do we need to do.

        1. The costs vary, depending on length of overstay. The information on this page at the top is still current, as far as I am aware.

          1. 30,000 for 1yr?even if we are married we need to pay for that overstayed? And for the ECC? Is there a way to lessen the penalties? Thank you

            1. No normal way to lessen those costs. That is the total cost to cover the unpaid visa fees and penalties.
              Normal visa fees, if paid on time, might be near 25,000, so only an extra 5,000 for the penalty part.

              Some people in the past used to say the penalties were small, only about 500 pesos per month, and others decided to avoid paying renewals, and just pay the penalty. Unfortunately they then found they had to pay the penalty PLUS the outstanding visa renewal fees. That is why I mention the “combined penalties and fees” so people get a better idea of the total.

              The ECC is a seperate item, but it was a small fee, or even free for some.
              The cost for an ECC-A in 2014 was 500 pesos.
              The cost for an ECC-B in 2018 was mentioned by one person at 3,360 pesos.

  18. Hello Admin
    Good day:i
    I have some concern and i hope you could give some kind of ideas and opinion, i know somebody being illegal here in the philippines for almost four years because his monthly paycheck from his government was cut off since 2016, and he have a daughter 3 year old buy his not marraid here.
    now his been reinstated and have some fund to pay fines, he wants to pay fines and not putting in jail.
    My concern here is, will he get deported or blacklisted since he have some reason why he coudn’t go back to his country because of finacial problem?
    Please i would appreaciate if you could give me some answer regarding this.

  19. Hello there!
    I’m 17 Years old (male) and I’ve been overstaying in the Philippines now for the sixth year, my Dad is German and my Mom is Filipina and I have at the moment only a German Passport and my Visa expired 6 years ago, my Parents haven’t applied yet for my Dual Citizenship any idea what are the requirements for Dual Citizenship?

  20. Hello,

    I entered the Philippines in 2007 and lost my passport in 2008. Being a complete idiot, i did nothing about my situation.

    Having finally grown up enough to deal with this, I managed to save up funds to deal with the predicament and thought i was in a position to go to the BI and get things sorted. I planned to speak with my embassy first. However, upon hearing this revelation, my partner then told me that we didnt have the money id saved and that she had spent it (id stupidly let her hold our savings).

    Now, i am flat broke, still without a passport/travel docs and essentially back to where i was before.

    Please advise what the situation is for someone who has no passport and no money to pay all the fees and fines, but desperately wants to leave…are there any options? In your opinion, what would be the first action i should take?

    I have no family or friends that could cover the costs on my behalf and the chances of me raising $10k plus is…well…petty unlikely.

    From what i have read here…if i went and ‘fessed’ up to the BI…id be sent to Bicutan jail until i could pay everything that was owed, is that the likely outcome?

    As i said, i know this is all my own fault…but love makes you do stupid things…

    Any advice will be appreciated.

    (Sorry, sent thru twice as i put the wrong email address in)

    1. I would go to your Embassy and ask them if they can help in any way.

      I honestly can’t think of anything else. Other than finding someone to smuggle you out, but even then you need a passport wherever you go.

      In your shoes, I would be visiting the British Embassy, and hoping they can do something to help.

    2. Hi, I have a live in partner whohas been overstaying for almost 16months. He lost his passport and everything here in the Philippines.He finally decided to go back to his country. Do you have any idea about the processes? Will he be jailed for this? Also, do you think he needs to go to NBI to get a clearance (this is what I have read on the internet)? Is there any ways to lower down the fine? If he goes to the BoI office,will he be jailed? Thanks.

      1. He needs to get an Exit Clearance Certificate ECC ( before he will be allowed to leave.
        That is done at an Immigration office (BoI).

        He will need to bring his visa up to date, and have a valid ACR-I card, before they will issue an ECC.

        He probably won’t be jailed, as long as he can pay the full amount to bring his visa up to date, and probably have a reasonable explanation. It is very unlikely that they will reduce the fees that he owes.

        If he is unsure, he would be well advised to seek advice from his embassy.

  21. Hi – I am a UK citizen, unwell, currently staying in Laguna and unable to to return up to Quezon City to renew my current Tourist Visa which expires 21st Feb – tomorrow – and to collect my ACR-I card and make my first Annual Report which has deadline of 29th Feb.

    I have been e-mailing the immigration dept for the past 2 weeks (they have removed any working phone number!) to ask what I do in these circumstances. My passport is locked in my QC apartment and I have no way of getting the keys from here to there in order for someone to collect my passport.

    I have a Medical Certificate and Special Power of Attorney (SPA) for my partner to apply on my behalf but of course only a copy of my passport. Immigration have stopped replying further – the last e-mail I received said they needed my original passport. Is this correct – they have my ACR-I card, copies of my passport.

    At best I will not be well enough to be able to travel to QC until the end of March. What am I facing as a consequence please? Is it a fine for both overstaying the month and fine for missing first Annual Report – plus the usual fees of the visa extension and Annual Report. My main concern is I won’t face jail time or deportation. I have everything they need just the original passport is the issue.

    Please can you advise – help greatly assisted as the stress is making me even sicker.

    Salamat po.

    1. I can only guess that a genuine reason, with medical certificates etc., would avoid any possibility of jail time or deportation. Many people overstay without an excuse, and avoid that.

      I have no idea about an Annual Report while on a Tourist visa. I never did one while I was there on tourist visa extensions.

      Can your partner go to QC and get what is needed, then take it to the office as soon as possible?

    2. Go to BI office a day of overstayed has the same amount of penalty for a month which is 1,010 plus same penalty for the annual fee. Don’t worry too much. You will not be sent to jail for a month late. There is a corresponding fine fee.

  22. Agoda
  23. Hi, I am overstaying for three years. I want to pay all fines and fees now, and avoid being black listed. Please help how to proceed best. Does there still exist an amnesty program for overstaying, like there was one in 2016? Thank you.

    1. I am not aware of any current amnesty.

      You need to visit your local BoI, or get someone to go and ask for you.

      It might depend a lot on the individual officer at the BoI.

  24. Hi i over stay from 2008 to 2010 and i was also black listed,which was done thru the uk forgne office , i am wanting to pay what i am owing, but i do not no how to find this out , can you help me pls

  25. Hi may anak ako half norwegian 8 months old na sya , kukuha ako ng ECC para sa kanya Kasi aalis kami this january . Ask lang ako If may penalties na po ba? And how much po? And magkano po ung ECC? Thank u

  26. Hello.. question. Overstayed 8 says by the time I get to BI. What will be my consequences as long as I am courteous and apologetic for my stupidity. I have been coming in and out for 4 years and it truly slipped my mind. So On Monday will
    Be 8 days.
    I know the following will defintely occur
    Fines and fees arounf 4200 peso

    What about blacklisting and being deported or ordered to leave in 15 days. I k ow these are all options. I have never had any type of incident here at all.

    Just want to make sure I am ptepared for whatever may comeon Monday. My stamp was till 22.. it will be 30 dec when I get there.

    1. I would not think it would be a problem at this time of year. That 4,200 will cover the fines and the next 2 months visa. Deportation is normally for more serious overstays.

      Make sure you have your documents and cash to pay on the day. And of course, be friendly.

  27. I have stayed in Philippines from November 2018 and had my visa extended up until September 2019.
    I have not paid for extensions since then. I want to pay all fines and fees due but I also want to continue living here as my partner has stage4 cancer and want be here to help her.
    What should be next move?

    1. You are only a little bit over. You could just go to the nearest BoI, and ask to extend it again. If you can take something with you to show your reason for not having time to sort out the visa extension before, it should help.

      Obviously there are no guarantees, but at under 6 months, and with a decent reason, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

      One other option, is to ask a local travel agency, one that does visa extensions, to do it for you. They may know how to discuss this correctly with their local immigration officers. I would probably consider that option first, and see what they say, and how much they charge for the lodging service.

      1. Ok. I think that’s what I will do. Most of my time has been as carer for my partner who is confined to bed now but I’m not sure if that’s a good enough reason so I will find a travel agent that has experience at handling this situation.
        I really appreciate your help. Salamat.

        1. I just saw a very recent news report on overstaying in the Philippines, and did another page on visa overstays.

          Worth a read, but hopefully your situation will not be classed the same as this one.

          Note that the Philippines officials have NOT confirmed what charges the Australian man in this story is facing.
          He also did nothing about trying get his visa situation sorted BEFORE attempting to leave. (He was detained at the airport)
          He may not have had the funds to cover his unpaid visas and fines.
          I have seen others who have paid and sorted out their overstay, without jail time, before attempting to leave.

        2. Hi David
          I was in the same position as you as I had overstayed my visa and i have a travel agent who can help if you have not found 1 yet. Send me a message if you still need help
          Sincerely from A Canadian living in Manila


  28. Agoda
  29. I have overstayed for nearly 5 years with a 4 year old son. May I please know how much would the penalties be if I were to exit Philippines this year?

    1. From the figures available it looks like:
      150,000 Total for Up to Five Years Overstay.
      120,000 Total for Up to Four Years Overstay, although a child may be cheaper.

      1. I have a son his father is a American citizen and he want to get us to come in America, will he be able to do that since his been deported?

        1. I assume the American citizen father was deported from the Philippines.

          He may not be able to enter the Philippines for a while, but I doubt that would stop his child from going to the US. I assume the child has US citizenship, from the father.

          You would need to begin a process for a visa for yourself of course.

  30. I am overstaying for two years and a half, due to a lost passport and me being sick. I am Italian citizen. I want to stay here. What can I do? I can pay the fines. Do I have to go to the main office only, or any other office? Is it better to do voluntary deportation, or hope they let me stay? Do I risk jail? Blacklist? What is my best move. Thanks.

    1. Almost any office should be able to handle this.

      Jail is very unlikely if you can pay the unpaid visas and fines. But you do risk a blacklist.

      Foreigners who have overstayed for more than twelve (12) months regardless if their stay is within the maximum allowable period or those found to be overstaying by virtue to a complaint or Mission Order regardless of the period shall be referred for deportation. (

      However, they seem to have a discretion that can allow people to stay.

      You need to present the best case possible, when you go to the Bureau of Immigration, with clear logical reasons to convince them. It might even be worth getting advice from a migration agent on this.

      1. Thank you. I did not yet make my new passport, but my consulate says I need a police report for my lost passport.
        I am afraid when I go to a police office declaring my lost passport, tbey will see that I have no valid visa and retain/jail me directly. But then I can not go and ask for a new passport, organise my departure. Or is police and immigration not linked, will they not see my visa status?

        1. I am not sure on that, but I doubt if the local police would check. However, I suggest getting advice from your consulate on that, so that they at least know what is happening, and may be able to suggest the best option for you.

  31. Dear Sir,

    My next trip with 2 extensions will be 2 days over departure date, curious if they would be willing to stamp the visa 2 extra days during my second extension?

    Also during departure at Manila airport in 2018 I was talking to a US tourist who overstayed for 5 days and immigration let him pass.

    1. You can always ask them about extending to a certain date. My last extension was for 6 months, but of course we normally pay for the full period.

      Regarding leaving with no issues, well… it is the Philippines, anything can happen. There are always exceptions, depending on how the immigration officers feel at the time. But, too many people get turned away, miss the flight and have to rebook a few days later. Always best to assume the worst, and plan to avoid it.

  32. I’m married and we have a 7 month son. he has over stayed for 1 year and 4 months.. Please i need an addvice on how we can go about it because i don’t want him to leave because of my little baby.

      1. Hello ma’am/sir ,
        I have a son with American citizen who overstayed here in the Philippines, we would like to know where he could pay his fines so his name will be taken out from blacklist and able to come back in the Philippines .

        Thank you.

        1. If he left without paying the fines, I would assume that he was told how to pay.

          It might be best to ask at the nearest Philippines Embassy or Consulate. It would also be advisable to apply for a visa in advance next time, to avoid refused entry if the immigration officers get it wrong.

          All Requests for lifting of entries from the Blacklist shall be addressed to the Commissioner and filed at the Main Office, stating therein the nature of the request with attached duly authenticated/certified true copies of documents to prove that the ground for inclusion in the Blacklist no longer exists.
          Requests filed within the periods prescribed herein do not however guarantee its approval.
          Conversely, filing of requests outside the prescribed periods may automatically cause its disapproval unless the said request is meritorious as to constitute a waiver of the periods herein prescribed.

    1. Hello my husband is also been overstay for almost 5years. Just go to immigration and the requirements for it is he need to have a notorize of affidavit of reason why he overstay, of your married,bring your marriage certificate 2×2 picture when you go there he needs those thinga in order for them to process it. You dont have to pay right away because they will still review his papers and you will wait 20working days

  33. I’m married to a foreigner and we have a 7 month son. But he has over stayed for 1 year and 4 months.. Please i need an addvice on how we can go about it because i don’t want him to leave because of my little baby.

    1. Hello my husband is also been overstay for almost 5years. Just go to immigration and the requirements for it is he need to have a notorize of affidavit of reason why he overstay, of your married,bring your marriage certificate 2×2 picture when you go there he needs those thinga in order for them to process it. You dont have to pay right away because they will still review his papers and you will wait 20working days

  34. I’m married to a foreigner and we have a 7 month son. But he has over stayed for 1 year and 4 months.. Please i need an addvice on how we can go about it because i don’t want him to leave because of my little baby. Please i need an advice and what it take to clear this over stay.

  35. I live in pangasnan. But I’m married to a foreigner and we have a 7 month son. But he has over stayed for 1 year and 4 months.. Please i need an addvice on how we can go about it because i don’t want him to leave because of my little baby. Please i need an advice and what it take to clear this over stay.

  36. Hellow good mornig i have partner he overstaying almost two year. Bcos he was been sick before.he cnt process his visa extension and he loss his wallet..if we go to immigration just to check how much he gonna cost to pay.. It is possible that he will be safe? To go there without putting in jail rigth away? Bcos we just want to know first how much he need to pay. And it is possible that he will be deported? Or just to leave the country and can go back again ?

    1. Jail is normally only for those who pay the fees. The estimate for two years is shown above.

      He may be blacklisted, but maybe not. It varies, often on the decision of the immigration officer.

  37. Hello , one of my Friends overstayed already 7 months so when he want to leave the country he has to pay everything right ? , i hope he dont need to go to Jail but if he has to go there how long he has to stay in the jail ?

  38. Hi i have question i over stayed for 15mos in Phil im a dual citizen im hotline US passport & Phil passport, but last april 2018 i went on a Holy Land tour & forgot to bring My Phil passport Immigration Officer told me im only allowed To stay 30days after coming Back, this sept 8 im leaving for Australia, How much would it Cost & where do we pay & does they accept check? Or Can I pay it in the airport? Thanks!😊

    1. If you leave the Philippines on a Philippine passport there will not be any fines.

      If you leave on a foreign passport, you need to update all visas at a Bureau of Immigration, and get an ECC, before going to the airport. This can take a day or three.

      The costs are estimated above.

  39. Agoda
  40. I have a friend overstaying in the Philippines for 5 years now.what well happen,aside paying the fines and penalty he still can be possibly put on jail?or there’s still an option to not be in jail?

      1. Hi Sir,
        I met a Nigerian who came to the Philippines in 2015 on a student visa. After some time, he dropped out of school. His student visa expired in 2017, and he did not have it renewed. Basically, he had been overstaying in the Philippines for about 2 years now. He said he didn’t have money to go back home. Also, he said his embassy won’t help him pay for his plane ticket home. Since he lost his passport, he said his embassy will only help him get a new passport and an exit clearance, but he had to pay for his plane ticket home. How can he go home? Also, will I be penalized if I help him get a job even though he doesn’t have a work permit? Thanks.

  41. I m in Philippines now I miss my flight 10 days ago now I’m over stayed 10 days my flight after 2 days I want to know if I can pay the penalty in the airport in the same day of my flight or I have to go to beraux of immigration thank

    1. You should go to a Bureau of Immigration, as it might take 24 hours to get the visa sorted out.

      It also varies depending on how long you have been in the country in total. More than 6 months and you need an ECC.

      I have heard that some people get it done at the airport, but only when it is a few hours over.

  42. I am studying here and unfortunately i lost my passport , i couldn’t extent my student visa without passport . I already stayed here 17 months without extensing my visa . What should i do to going my country ? Hopefully you can give me some advices .

    1. You need to go to your embassy and get a new passport. Then you need to got to a Bureau of Immigration, and catch up with your unpaid visas, and pay the penalties. After that you will be permitted to leave the country.

  43. Hi my wife is in philippines since she was 3 year old and now shes 20 years old and lost her US passport, and i wonder how much will cost for over staying?

  44. Hi my son is now 4yrs old ,his born in the Philippines .I applied for British passport when he was 1yr old. I’m planning to bring him next year in UK. I have no idea how much I will pay for overstaying in the Philippines. I thought my son don’t need to pay anything especially he was born in the Philippines . The consul in London advice to apply for dual citizenship so I don’t pay that much. But how long it will take to process the dual citizenship?
    Hope you can help me.


    1. A 4 year overstay will be about 120,000. Anyone travelling on a foreign passport, whether Filipino or not, is treated as a national of that Passport.

      You will also need an ECC ( before he can leave, if leaving on a Foreign passport.

      I do not know the current time to get Dual Citizenship, but it might just be a simple matter of applying for a Philippine passport, using the Philippine Birth certificate, which should prove he is a Philippine Citizen already (assuming a Philippine parent). ie: He may already be a Dual Citizen.

      I would suggest getting a Philippine passport for him ASAP. It might even be handy at some stage in the future, and it is much easier to get it in the Philippines, than in other countries.
      Getting my wifes Passport in Australia took 12 weeks, a total of 24 hour driving time for a 2,000km drive to the embassy, a hotel cost, and $108 (4,000 php) for the passport itself.

      Current cost for a Philippine Passport is shown as 950 php (12 days) or 1200 php for expedited (6 days).

      Passport Requirements For Minor Applicants:

  45. My brother in law overstayed in the Philippines for 3 months and he was not informed that he needed ECC to pass the immigration. When he went to BOI in Angeles City he was informed that he had to pay and wait for 2 months for him to be cleared to go back to Korea. How true is this?and What would be your advise? Thank you in advance. God bless.

    1. He would have been advised when he renewed the visa, once the expiry date of the new visa goes past the 6 month date, that the ECC would be required if leaving after 6 months.
      But as he didn’t renew, they never had the chance to tell him, and he then put himself in the position of being illegal. As such, he basically has to do what Immigration says.

      Immigration has the option to jail an overstayer, charge penalties etc., and of course ban the person from returning.

      Normally the ECC can be done in a few days, sometimes in just one day. However, with an overstayer, they may wish to do further checks, which might take time, before issuing the ECC.
      2 months does seem a long time, but it may just be a consequence of overstaying a visa.

      An example of the notice of ECC requirement, in my passport, after getting a visa renewal that took me past 6 months.
      Notice of ECC Required after 6 months

      My advice would be to do what they say, and avoid time in jail instead.

      1. HI I have my friend Here, he is an Egyptian he overstayed for 4years, and he want to go home in Egypt, what is the first move we need to do? And if he are going to pay the fine can he still come back here in the Philippines, because he really needs to he has 2 children and his wife left him,

        1. He has to pay all the unpaid visa fees, with the fines. With a four year overstay it is likely he will be blacklisted. However, with two children there might be ways to stay. I would suggest contacting a migration agent to try to help. It may not be cheap, but it might be necessary.

          Applying for the removal of a blacklist can normally be done at a certain time after the actual implementation of the exclusion order.

          Six (6) months after, for foreign nationals who overstayed for less than one year.
          Twelve (12) months after, for foreign nationals who overstayed for more than one year.


    1. He can’t leave until he pays the visa fees. It isn’t that much for each visa, if paid for on time.

      Jail can become an option for some.

  46. Hi, I actually have 2 Japanese nephews who were brought here since they are kids. They are overstaying in the Philippines. The older one was brought here when he was 2 years old now he’s 21 and the younger one was brought here when he was 4 months old and now he’s already 17 years old. Their mother is pure filipina married to a pure japanese and she’s working in Japan. They are not filipino citizens they only have updated Japanese passport and japanese birth certificate. What could be the effect of that if they want to go back to Japan already? Will there be any fees we need to pay? and if ever how much in total? I would really appreciate a response since we don’t know what to do. Thank you!

    1. They will be treated like any other foreign citizen. Visas will need to be brought up to date, with Penalties. The main page above gives an idea of these total costs.

      They need to go to an Immigration office to sort it out. It might be best to get Filipino citizenship as well, ASAP, as they are currently in the situation that they could easily be deported, as they are NOT Filipino citizens, and have no valid visa.

      1. Hi, ate mitch and I are in same situation. I’ve stayed here for almost 11 years. My dad told me that they’ve registered me in dual citizenship. This last june 18 I was about to leave here in the Philippines, unfortunately they didn’t let me. They told me that if I leave I need to pay or to apply phil. pass. So does it mean that if I got may phil passport do I need to apply visa? And does it mean that all the charges or penalties I dont have/need to pay it?

        1. Immigration base your citizenship on whatever passport you travel on, irrespective of what other citizenships you hold.

          If you travel on a foreign passport, you need to have valid visas, etc., and therefore pay all visa penalties.

          If you travel on a Philippines passport, you must abide by visa requirements for the country you are travelling to.
          That can be a problem at times, when going to a country where a Filipino needs a visa to enter that country.

          Some people use a Philippine passport to leave the Philippines and got to Hong Kong (or other no visa required country), then fly out of that country on their US/UK/AU/etc passport, to go to their final destination.

          I have been told that some immigration officers allow people with Philippine and Foreign passports to leave without any problems. This is how I feel it should be done.

Leave a Reply to Tony Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.