Jul 05 2015

Print this Post

Commission on Filipinos Overseas Program

Pre-departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) or the Peer Counseling Seminar

  • CFO = Commission on Filipinos Overseas
  • The Guidance And Counselling Certificate of Attendance = Seminar Attendance Certificate needed for the CFO Certificate.
  • The CFO Certificate = The Stamp in the Passport, needed to leave Philippines as an Emigrant.

Why do you need a CFO clearance ?

Who needs the CFO Seminar Stamp?

An emigrating Filipino, or one who has been granted an immigrant-class visa, is required to register with the Commission on Filipinos Overseas before leaving the country to settle in a foreign land. They need to attend a seminar to help in understanding what their new life may be like.
Note: Emigrants attending the PDOS or Peer Counseling Session must be at the CFO office at least 1 hour before their schedule to complete the registration requirements.

Does a Tourist Visa holder need to attend the CFO Seminar?

No. Only those who are leaving the country to settle in a foreign land will need to attend this seminar.

What is the CFO Seminar?

The Pre-departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) or the Peer Counseling Seminar, is a brief, two-hour seminar on settlement issues and concerns such as finding employment, rights and obligations of immigrants as well as policies and procedures on how to secure foreign citizenship.

Exemptions from attending the PDOS include: Those who are 60 years old and above

One of the requirements for the CFO is to show proof of the relevant of Visa Grant. However, they seem to be not very strict on this, as I know of at least one person who went there with a Tourist Visa grant.  She got the CFO stamp but didn’t actually need it.  Another, also on a Tourist Visa, went for the seminar, but was turned away saying it wasn’t needed for her.

How long is the CFO stamp valid

The CFO Guidance and Counselling Certificate is a lifetime copy and has no validity dates. (see image below [click for larger picture])
However, if you change your partner, you do need to re-attend.

CFO Stamp Lifetime Validity


(Post Rating: 314 - 11 - 663,655)

Permanent link to this article: http://www.in-philippines.com/commission-on-filipinos-overseas-program/


  1. ellie rose maravilla

    i am offloaded immigration they said they need CFO i want to my meet partner and tour only there should i need to follow?

    1. admin

      To leave the Philippines on most partner visas, you need to attend a CFO course and get the sticker in your passport.

      What visa were you using?

  2. JJ

    I went to Australia in November 2014 on a Tourist Visa and I did not need this. My friend told me I did need it, but the CFO website said I didn’t need it as tourist visa holder, and I didn’t.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *